Monday, February 06, 2006

Broccoli and Garlic Noodles


Valentine's Day is coming soon and so it's time I cooked something appropriate and romantic-shomantic. Ok guys, here's the question of the day:

Question: What's the idea of perfect date?
Answer: Going out for dinner. Wrong. Right answer is cooking an exotic meal for that special someone and even if it doesn't turns out great, he/she will appreciate the effort. You are lucky because if you will try my recipe then it will turn out great too...;) {And you can then later Thank me for that extra kiss tadka maar ke}

As far as the quiz goes, well a lot of you tried but only one got really close to the right answer. It was none other than another excellent cook, Saba. You were right, east meets south-east signified a indo-chinese dish. This is my fav. way of making noodles as broccoli adds an extra exoticness to it. This dish is a native of Kolkatta and was introduced there by large chinese immigrants. So, guys and gals enjoy my exotic and easy dish (just like your fantasy partner).

Broccoli and Garlic Noodles

Dedication: This recipe is dedicated to two of my exotic friends from far-east, Colors from Sikkim and Sonali from Kolkatta.

Event: This recipe will be featuring in a monthly event, From my Rasoi @ Meena's blog.

Serving: 2 (you two, who else)

Ingredients:

200 gm broccoli florets
2 tsb vegetable oil
1 medium spanish onion, thinly sliced (or regular onion will do too)
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 green finger chillis, finely chopped
2 tsb peeled and crushed ginger
1 tsb crushed unsalted peanuts
2 tsb dark soy sauce
1/4 tsb salt
1/4 tsb coarsley ground black pepper
1 tsb brown sugar (or regular sugar)
1 tsb seasame oil (optional)
200 gms wheat noodles (or regular noodles)

Method:


  1. Wash the broccoli thoroughly
  2. Cook it in boiling water for 2 minutes and drain
  3. Heat the vegetable oil in pan
  4. When the oil is just smoking, add the onions and stir fry for a minute
  5. Add garlic, chillis and broccoli and fry on medium heat for 5 miutes
  6. Stir in ginger and peanuts
  7. Add the soy sauce, salt, black pepper, sugar and seasame oil
  8. Mix well
  9. Cook the noodles acc. to packet's instructions
  10. Drain and quickly mix with garlic and broccoli mixture.
  11. Serve immediately.
  12. Enjoy it with red wine, candle lights and that "special" someone.

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!!

Hint for the next recipe: Other day I saw a girl from Mumbai with deep black eyes.

21 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man from the Dhaba...u're gonna feed someone broccoli and garlic on v-day? and u expect 'em to kiss u after that? what world are u living in? :p I am up for the red wine though!!!
Seriously, I had been looking for a new pasta recipe. Definitely on the top of my list for new pasta recipe. thanks for posting this up.

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read moonstruck's comment he he he :))

Nice thought..Valentine post is soo secial!

Really am loss for words..i do not cook and wish i could tell you about my experience with your recipes.

Will update you with my experiments once i am home and cooking :)

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY !!!

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger The Bhandari's said...

hey good job maan.... after that training session this 5 mins break is good for me to going thru the recipe let sachin come and me gonna try this :)

 
At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm gonna try this for sure:)

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ricky, this is really good. Only thing is i will have to hunt for brocolli. cooking for me is a compulsion but if you are giving such interesting recipes i will have to change it to a liking. btw kabhi koi gujju recipe bhi de do. I can give you a couple if you want.

 
At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gonna try this on weekend...tussi ve bana rahe ho na aho he dish this V-day ???
on second thots am gonna ask taran to try this recipe...wat say??

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Colors said...

Oooh...V-day recipe....yummy! And dedicated to me? How sweet! Thanks so much! I will definately try this...but unfortunately I wont be with V this V-day...maybe on one of the weekends....:) Am not a big fan of brocolli, but if u say it goes well..so be it! LOL @ Moonstruck's comment

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Invincible said...

the dish looks exotic. And as they say, the best way to man's heart is thru his stomach :p i wud ask my better half have a snoop at ur blog.

AND, even i guessed it wud b gobi manchurian, just tht i dint put my groundwork in comment & went a step extra replacing broccoli by gobhi so it really seems like a indo-chinese blend.

OK, V-day is forthcoming, so ..

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

vdaysheday..aaye haaye:P colors come letz enjoy the recipe all alone while he serves us;)

-sonali

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Kaps said...

ek problem hai..
i can follow the recipe and cook it..me guessing thik thak ban jaayegi..
i will get that wine..kaafi stores hain..mil jaayegi..
i will also get those candles..scented ones..
but woh special someone kahan se laun :D

ricky ji thanks for posting this.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ricky...am trying to comment, but its not working..anyway what i said was- i like everything in this recipe except broccoli..uve definitly turned canadian :P...will substitute something else and try it!
-RS

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ricky!

I invite you to join the 'From my Rasoi' monthly event.

Details here - http://www.hookedonheat.com/2006/02/02/from-my-rasoi-3-cooking-for-love/

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Moonstruck - Ha ha!! Pyar se khilaunga toh hamare woh kuch bhi kha lenge jee. I don't expect a kiss after a nice dinner, I command it...LOL. Although, it seems I will have to increase the quantity of red wine, just in case the brocolli doesn't work...ha ha.

I am glad you liked it. You are welcome.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Nidhi - Thank You!! I hope you start cooking soon enough. I will wait for you home-updates then.

Happy Valentine's Day to you too.

Bhandari's - Thank You jee!! Do try it and give me the reviews later.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Red jee - Sure do and then give me your reviews.

Priyangini - Hi Priyangini, Thank You!! Yea, I was kinda skeptic about finding brocolli that esily but Mehak told me that its available, though its a little expensive but anything for love...right?

My Dhaba is now open for new recipes, so if you have good ones then do send me and I will be happy to post it. You should read my hint again though...;-)

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Mehak - Did you try it? Naee je, main tee rukhe sukhe alu naam kamm chaleya iss Valentines tee...he he. Yea, make Taran try this (bahut peetunga usse...he he)

Colors - Kya karein karna padta hain. You are very welcome. Do try this and give me your reviews. I was not a brocolli fan too but its good once in a while.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Invincible - Yea, exotic it is. I didn't knew you had a better-half...LOL.

So, how was V-day??

Sonali - Aaye-haye. Kaise banaya aapne, zara humein bhi toh pata chalein. Abey oye, I am not a waiter but I will be if you give me a good tip...lol

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Kaps - Aree jab tarkari lene jaogee toh ask the grocery girl if she would come after her hours na. Samjha karo, when she will see all the ingredients she won't be able to resist you.

You are welcome and now use it for good.

RS - Ha ha!! Na re, I am still a desi guy trying to put a desi touch to Canadian food. Do try it and give me your reviews...:-)

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Meena - Thanx Meena for the invitation and my recipe for the event will be on its way soon. Thankx for visiting me too...:-)

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger BDSN said...

Wow luv your site and the presentation stlye..good work...keep it up..would luv to try ur noodles

 

Post a Comment

<< Home