Friday, February 17, 2006

Sanjha Chulha

It's been less than one month since I started "Ricky Da Dhaba" and its already time to re-name it. This is not because Dhaba was not successful but because I got some responses from bloggers that were interested in sharing recipes and so the idea stuck to me...

What is Sanjha Chulha?

I am sure quite a few may know the meaning of Sanjha Chulha, because it's a very common punjabi term and also there used to be a tele-serial with the same name on DD. It's one of the most beautiful traditions of Punjab. It was started by Guru Nanak Dev jee in Pakistan part of Punjab. It was the tradition of langar or community kitchen. It was that langar tradition that led to Sanjha Chulha (Common Oven).

In those days (and in some small villages even today) generally men would go to farms while women will do chores at home (although a lot of women in Punjab used to do farming too). In the evening, all the women would make some kind of daal/sabzi at their home but not everyone could afford a chulha (earthen oven or kinda tandoor). So, all the women will take atta (wheat flour) from their home and cook all the rotis together. While cooking rotis they will also discuss everything under the moon. This made it an ideal community place to exchange gossips and stories from all around the village. After making rotis they all will take their share and goto their respective homes, away from the gossips and closer to reality.

So, this blog will be the Sanjha Chulha for blog-world. Anyone can post recipes at this blog by just sending it to me by email. Just like there would be one person who would maintain the Sanjha Chulha, I will maintain this blog. Anyone can email me the recipe with their name and if possible blog address. I will try the recipe just to get timings and everything right and post it in 15-20 days because I don't want to skip the tradition of giving hints about the next recipe. In case I didnt mention, anyone who sends the recipe will get the credit for it (obviously).

So, let's heat our Sanjha Chulha and don't forget to gossip along the way...

Gossip of the day: Abhishek dating Ashwariya? I hope not...

28 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first !!!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Kaps said...

doojaa

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

wohoo.. me third :)
I didn't know the meaning of tht.. and thanks for the explanation..
this is a nice idea..
and Ricky.. u know what.. we've got our kitchen ready in our house... so, am ready to test ur recipes :D

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Fursat said...

good good..naya naam..nice name..and i wud like to share my receipes (agar kabhi huyi) with all.

and u chose the right name :)

 
At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awsome idea Ricky puttar !!! tussi great ho :))
yes, I hope NOT @ Abhishek dating Aishwarya!! :)) i dunno but I love to hate Aish! Kya yaar yeh kudi to bando ko kya ghoomaati hai!!! pehlae koyi model ko ghooma rahi thi .. fir saalu bhai ko do saal .. uske baad do saal vivek ko .. ab shayad Abhishek ki baari hai!!

 
At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

^
|
Moonie

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it comes to ideas you come out tops..and wow what a special name..ricky jee u r special..:)

I would some day post a recipe too..par abhi kuch time hai..tab tak i will read and enjoy..cokking ki abhi situation nahin hai :P

:)

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one, Ricky. Only one prob: I can't call you 'Man from the Dhaba' anymore! Shucks :P
Sweet name though. I like the essence of it.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Kaps said...

fundo idea...very apt naam..main apni chai, coffee aur maggi ki recipe ki post karna chahta hun..

oye sir jee..but iska yeh matlab nahi hai ki hum acche cook nahi hai..mere aaspaas log kehte hain ki meri biwi khush rahegi :D

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

never knew that! great idea ricky. Now churn out those recipes!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger singlewheatfemale said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Oh and by the way, "sanjha chulha" is also the name of a restaurant in Delhi. I wanted to mention that, as long as we are making out connections for SC!!! anyways keep it going. And really nice recipes and even nicer pics!!! :)

 
At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool......will send u the recipes wen i am free!:D
n Abhishek is not seeing aishwarya.....its just a huge publicity stunt!!! n if it happens to be true( it is not!!!).....abhishek will win the title of the most stupid man on earth! Ash sucks!!

 
At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i ll send bheja fry recipe;)

-sonali

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger faith said...

thats a very nice idea .
*smiles*

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

saba : arre wah doosra naam karan . good . Will send u a recipie of mine soon . hope it gets put up here .

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger fursat said...

Mehak - Yes, you are always FIRST in my eyes.

Kaps - Yes Sir!!

Prasad - Yes, you third. You are very welcome. I want reviews of all my recipes.

Neetie - Thank You jee. Yea, do send me any recipe you like. Thank You once again.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger fursat said...

Moonie - Thank You jee!! I know that I am great but its nice to hear it from others too...he he. I think we all know how manipulative Ash is when it comes to enhance her career. I hope Abhi is listening.

Nidhi - Thanks a lot. I am glad you liked the idea. Yea, I will wait for your recipes.

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger fursat said...

Moonstruck - Thank You!! You can still call me that as I will be the one posting most of the recipes.

Kaps - Thanks Buddy!! Yea, yea do send me your recipes....LOL. Maybe your biwi will be khush for other reasons than your cooking....ha ha

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger fursat said...

Kaush - Thanks!! I have already posted few recipes. Do tell me how you like them.

Singlewheatfemale - You are welcome. Yea, I have heard that name. I am from Delhi too originally. Thank You for liking it and keep coming.

Divya - Thanks!! I will wait for your recipes. I hope you are right about Abhi but what was that about their kundlis and all that.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger fursat said...

Sonali - Ha ha, Sonali. Sure. I heard you make it the best. Infact, I got some of it last time we chatted. Kidding. You are toh my sweetest friend.

Faith - Thank You!!

Saba - Thank You!! I would love to put your recipe. It will be my pleasure all the way.

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice explanation of 'sanjha chula'

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the ezee and tastee alu ghobi. couldn't have been more authentic than this.just keep posting 1-2-3 steps recipes prefrbly veg, coz i am a gujju ben!who is not typically in love with cooking

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Dev said...

Nice post,
Sanjha Chulha really serve quality food.

Sanjha Chulha order online

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Sanjha Chulha order online said...

Nice post,
Sanjha Chulha really serve quality food.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home