Monday, February 27, 2006

Chawlichi Bhaji


My most memorable trip with friends has to be Mumbai-trip in 2000. We were 10 Punjabi-puttars, who had the most dhmaal time there. People would look at us like we were from some foreign land because we were typical delhiites - obnoxious, loud and drunk (kidding...lol). I stayed 3 extra days after my friends left as I have big family there. It was great meeting them, as we were almost cut-off by distance all these years. Also, it was good to know that they were super-rich. Unlike most Mumbaites they lived in a big kothi right on Juhu beach with Late Kishore Kumar and Feroze Khan as their neighbours and Amitabh's house just round the corner.

Anyways, the point is that I had a great time. My didi there decided to cook me authentic Marathi lunch one day. This was one of the recipe and I loved it. I love lobiya or Rajma's sister as we call it in Punjabi. Isn't it amazing how we Indians end up tieing everything in relationships. Ok ok, without wasting much time, here I present my recipe, Mumbiya style..bole toh.

Chawlichi Bhaji

Dedication: This recipe is dedicated to a number of people. Firstly it is dedicated to the only half-marathi blogger I know...RS and her Ol' S. Since it is typical Mumbiaya recipe it is also dedicated to my Mumbaiya friends, Priyangini, Bhumi, Gaurav, Preeti , Pinks and Anks.

Serving: 4

Ingredients:
  1. 1.5-2 cups dried black-eyed peas (or lobiya in punjabi)
  2. 2 tsb vegetable oil
  3. 1/4 tsb mustard seeds
  4. 1 small onion, finely chopped
  5. 2 green chillis, finely chopped
  6. 1 medium tomato
  7. pinch of asafetida (optional)
  8. 1/2 tsb salt
  9. handful of cilantro (dhaniya), chopped

Method:

  1. Pick over the beans for small stones, wash it with cold water
  2. Soak the beans in 3-4 cups of cold water for one hour
  3. Drain and place it in saucepan with 2 cups of cold water
  4. Boil for 45 min
  5. Drain
  6. Heat the oil in pan
  7. Add mustard seeds
  8. When they start to pop, add the onions, chilis, asafetida and fry for 3 minutes
  9. Add tomato, beans and salt and fry for 2 more minutes
  10. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes
  11. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot.

Hint for next recipe: I will have a swayamvar of this dish when I come to India. I hope all you girls are ready for that by then...LOL

Gossip of the week: Should Salman be spared for killing a person but jailed for killing an animal?

Note: The picture of pop-rock-hiphop-band black-eyed peas is just a joke...LOL

30 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me first

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the dedications...seems like an easy thing to make... lol shall try it some time. have fun cooking!

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ricky, wah the recipe was great and you know what, I got it for lunch today. and your next recipe is sooooo easy. any girl who know you will say that the recipe you will have a swayamvar for will be ALOO KE PARATHE.

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Pinks said...

bahut na insafi hai....even i am frm bbay..u din dedicate it to me..jus kidding...nice recipe..one of my fav's..

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hmm... donno whether i've ever had this dish or not..
i might even had it without knowing its name ;)
hmm.. reg the gossip, all tht i have to say is he deserves every bit of it..

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger The Bhandari's said...

sounds easy I'll prepare it in weekend :)

 
At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the dedication ricky...and what else could it be at ur swayamwar but aloo parathas??? :)...and u know what? i also made this dish over the weekend...it was great!-RS

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

=)) I was wondering wot was the pic there about. this is my first visit to chawlichi bhaji.. a marathi dish.. and most imp, I know and have all the ingrediants.. so now, I'll pay my second visit todya or tom, and will try to cook d same :D

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol at the pic.
:D

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger faith said...

yum yum *smiles*

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Kk said...

Sounds nice., i'd like to try this out 2day .
Well., ricky bhai., i didnt find ur email ID where i can mail u my recipe.

 
At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The recipe looks awsome! Hey tussi punjab de puttar Sarson de saag di recipe kadon chapoge????????
btw, I think Salman is being highlighted and victimized since he is a celebrity. bhai apane politicians get away with mass murder and anything under the sun; no one utters a single word! I don't deny he has done wrong but let law take its course. don't use words like "killing a person" he has not been convicted yet. I have my own reservation, what do you expect to happen when thousands of mumbaites sleep literally on road.

 
At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me earlier @ "Hey tussi punjab de puttar ........."
Moonie

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh ricky...the picture of the blacvk-eyed peas was a joke??? awww...thought u were cooking 'em ..bet no one realized u were just joking :P:-RS

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Kaps said...

:)..ek baar fir se thanks bolenge hum..:)..

and ricky ji..jaisi ki aap recipes likh rahe hain..mujhe lagta hai aapki wife ko khana banane ki jaroorat nahi padegi :D..

i will make sure she knows abt this blog :P

keep it up..keep posting more..someday i will try them :D

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Anks said...

Loved the new name..... i liked it more than the previous one! and thanks for the dedication.... i like chawlichi bhaji, but my mom makes it in a very different way... btw, aloo de paranthe or swayamvar ka logic samajh mein nahin aaya mujhe!! :(

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

next recipe please! :)

Moonie

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Gnextdoor - Yea, you get a date with me for coming FIRST...LOL

You are welcome. Yea, its pretty easy and yummy. Sure do try.

Priyangini - Hi Priyangini, Thank You. Aree wah, what a coincidence. LOL @ my next recipe quote.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Pinks - Shoorie!! I missed it by mistake, honest mistake. I am glad you liked the recipe.

Prasad - Ha ha, it happens to me too buddy. Yea, he deserves it but he should be punished more harshly for all is antics.

Bhandari's - Give me the review after you make it.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger fursat said...

RS - You are very welcome. Oho, you also know it now. Wow!! I am expecting recipes from you too.

Gemini Girl - Ha ha!! Do cook it and give me the review about the same afterwards.

Divya - ;-)

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Faith - It tastes more yummy when you make it yourself.

KK - Sure do try, Sir. My email is ricky703ca{at}gmail{dot}com

Moonie - Thank You!! Uh recipe tee bade mushkil hain tee ithee saag aasani naal naee milda. Phir vee tusi kehnde ho tee chapp devanga.

If our politicians get away then that doesn't mean that celebrities should also get away. Law finally took its course after 8 years. If everyone become like Salman as you say then why don't everyone drive over them every night.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger fursat said...

RS - RS jee, everyone do not have a developed sense of humor like me and you....that's why.

Kaps - You are welcome, Sir. Abey yaar, shaadi ke baad bhi agar maine hee khana banana hain toh shaadi ka kya fayada. I will change this blog from your name and give the link to your wise instead..ha ha. Do try it and review.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Anks - Thank you!! You don't like the name "Ricky"...**sob sob**. I am sure there must be a punjabi twist to your recipe..he he. I have mailed you about the logic...;-)

Moonie - Kal, pakka!!

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ricky- very nice blog and template and all that, but how about updating your photograph? cant talk to a baby!
-RS

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger fursat said...

RS - Oh C'mon RS, Have you ever seen such a cute baby (except yours)? I was such a coochie pie. I still am but not that kind...;-)

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ricky puttar, Kithon haiga sarson da saag te makke di rotti???? :) just to push you herez one of the recipe! waise I do make pretty good saag and I love making makke di roti by hand (though using a butter paper to press and spread it on by hand)
Kadi tu aaye bangalore taan mein thavanu khilavagi dher saara makkan paa ke :)) ha ha ha I need to practise punjabi else I will forget it :D

Moonie
http://moonietheloonie.rediffblogs.com/

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/greens1.html

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Moonie - Mainu naee banana aanda Saag tee Makki de roti. Tusi likh ke bhej do na mujhe. Main post kar devanga.

Tusi Bangalore rehnde ho, kee gall kar dete, hadh hain By God!! Main tee B'lore pakka aana hain jadee vee India chakkar lageya (maybe sooner that you think). B'lore wich tee mere inee saare blog-friends nee.

Tuhade Punjabi tee badee changee hain, tusi punjabi hoo kee???

Thank You for the link jee...:-)

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger faith said...

next recipe plz
btw is this yr pic i mean 27 yrs old ricky?

*smiles*

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Faith - It's almost here. Yes, this is Ricky but 26 years ago...;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home