Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Alu Da Paratha


Alu ka paratha. Yes, I know I have been talking about it for last few posts but kya karoon control nahin hota yaar. I promise that this post will give some rest to the topic for a while. I think the reason I have been talking about Alu ka parantha so much lately has been because I have started to make it again after a gap of 3 years. I didn't make it all these years because the first time I tried, it didn't came out good and I didn't wanted to mess with my favourite food anymore. This time too the first time I messed up but with regular practice I have become quite an expert. Infact, I ate 30 paranthas in 5 days, in a row. This should be some kind of a record I am sure...LOL.

I think I can write a whole blog on Alu ka parantha but I will bakshofy you from my obsession. Although, I don't know a single desi person who doesn't like it. It's the ultimate breakfast. For those of you who got confused with my hint, well, I used to joke that my only demand when looking for a girl will be that she should be able to cook Alu ka parantha. Infact, I may do a swayamvar of it where each girl will make it for me, I will taste it and marry the one who will make the best one(even without looking at the girl...ha ha. I always think long-term, you see). So, what are you waiting for, try the recipe before I land in India (which maybe sooner than you think)...

Alu Ka Parantha

Dedication: This recipe is specially dedicated to Mehak and Taran because Mehak told me to teach her, so that she could make it for Taran.

Serving: Makes 7-8 parathas

Ingredients:
  1. 2 large potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
  2. 2 green chillis, finely chopped
  3. 1/2 tsb salt
  4. pinch of ajowan seeds (optional)
  5. large knob of butter or ghee, plus extra for buttering
  6. 2.5 cups whole wheat flour, plus extra for dusting
  7. 1 tbsp vegetable oil

Method:

  1. In a bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, chillis, salt, ajwon seeds and knob of butter
  2. Pour the flour into second bowl, then, with your hands, knead it with 2/3 cup cold water for 5-7 minutes to make a soft dough.
  3. Divide the dough into equal nmbers of 7-8 balls and cover it with damn cloth.
  4. Take one ball, slightly flatten it to make a bowl shape.
  5. In the centre of this "bowl" place 1 tsb potato mixture.
  6. Bring the edges of dough together to cover the filling and flatten again.
  7. Dust a smooth surface with flour and roll out each disc, with the join down, into a circle (approx. 6 inch diameter).
  8. Heat the griddle pan over med. to high heat and grease with oil.
  9. Smear butter on one side of each paratha and place this side on to the heated pan.
  10. As, this side is cooking, butter the other side, then turn the paratha and cook for minute.
  11. Keep cooking untill the parathas are brownish from each side. (You can tell from the look if its ready or not)
  12. Lower the hear for following parathas.
  13. Serve with raita and pickle.
  14. Enjoy.

Hint for the next recipe: Lo kee gall, Kofi Anaan tee bann gaya hero-hiralal.

Gossip of the week: Why is Sunny Deol doing crappy movies?

26 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me first..i want aloo ka paratha..pinks

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm..sounds god..kab bula rahe ho khane ko...pinks

 
At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! Finally the recipe is out.....:) Nice ....i will try this recipe for sure.

Great to know you did not give up on trying out the recipe....and good going.....so many parathe....haal toh changa hai naa :P

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH! you must have read my mind. Was craving alu paranthas before i subject myself to a frugal life for the next 8 weeks...Might try it this evening :) Thank you very much!

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok now recipe is ready i shud search ofr a gal standing near that gurudwara in bangalore. & make sure the gal to ois ready & prepare alu ka paratha when u land in bangalore. :P oye ricky did u c any1 kneading wheat flour other than hands! waisa u said " now with your hands" oh then this line is for our phoren prends.. ok

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me want this parantha too :( :( :(

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok i will try it.....my sis's friend had given me a recipe n i had promised her too tat i will try it......:P
well will definitely try it!
Thanks ricky....
i cant make head or tail outta the next clue or probably its coz i just woke up! :d
Anyways TC n enjoy ur parantha's
byeeee,
Divs

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Anks said...

well, aloo ka paratha is aloo ka paratha... the method remains the same... everybody makes it the same way, and yet the taste differs from person to person!

i am not too fond of it... and i just can't imagine eating it for 5 straight days!

as for ur next one's clue... you've got even me confused! ;)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger faith said...

wow!! alu paratha is my fav too.. next time whn u make it just try a pinch of heeng instead of ajwain.. hope u will like the change.
n as u r an expert in it now so i think u sh change yr shart for swayamvar:P vo banaye ya aap ek hi baat na :D

*smiles*

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Kaps said...

arey ricky!..u have given the key to ur heart right here :D..
ab to swyamvadhu mein aane pehle all the candidates will read this.and remem each word by heart..try the recipe 100s of time before the kaun-banega-ricky-ki-patni :)

next recipe-- lauki ke kofte?..or smthing similar.--malai kofta?

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yumm yumm! :D

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

next recipe seems like Lauki koftae!!!

Moonie

 
At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks ricks.....sooooo sweet of u....btw meine abhi tak taran ko ek baar bhi aalu ke paranthe nahin khilae hai...

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pssssssssshhhh! Who needs your recipe? I make my own alu parathas :P
Though, reading the post has definitely made me h-u-n-g-r-y. Where's my soup?!

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know I JUST made some aloo paranthas for breakfast this morning and saw this recipe of yours..although I did add matar, some dhania powder, and some lemon and coriander..:-D ajwain daale toh acha lagta hai?? i should try it your way now...

btw koi gujju recipes chahiye???

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooo i just read all your recipes dedicated to everyone..now you gotta make somethign GUJJU and dedicate it to your gujju friends..and I am sure you haev MANY in blogsville by now :-D

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh!!! I agree with Kaush.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Nupur said...

Great going Ricky. I didnt know that you have learned how to made the dough..... ab to koi bhi poori, kachawri or paratha isn't impossible for you. =)

So.... enZoy. And am totally clueless about the next recipe.

Will be waiting.....

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...

I am going to give your blog address to one of my friends who doesn't cook and get him to make all this amazing stuff that you post! Keep up the good work man!

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger The Bhandari's said...

array where is my previous comment :(
I posted here long time back
anyways I always knew one day ur blog going to adorn alu ka paranthaa :D
next recipie I guess is lauki ke koftey
~preeti

hope this don't get lost

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger faith said...

still enjoying alu paratha.. *bored*
want smthing new to taste:P
*smiles*

 
At 4:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHEN is next recipe going to be published????

Moonie

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Thank You Everyone for your comments and appreciation. I loved reading through each of the comments. You guys/gals have been just great...

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger kumarldh said...

1. 2 large potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
2. 2 green chillis, finely chopped
3. 1/2 tsb salt
4. pinch of ajowan seeds (optional)
5. large knob of butter or ghee, plus extra for buttering
6. 2.5 cups whole wheat flour, plus extra for dusting
7. 1 tbsp vegetable oil
More dude. U can experiment with stuffings.
Not down these
Green Chillies, finely sliced
Anardaana, makes taste wow
Grated Paneer, will balance green chillies
finely sliced onions, fry the paraantha bit more and enjoy
Man U r turning chef inside me on.

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm making allo ka paratha today! Stumbled upon your site! YUM!

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want aluuuuu kaaa parathaaaaaaa rite now lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home