Sunday, March 26, 2006

Lauki Ke Kofte (Contributed By: Anks)


First of all I would like to apologies for the delay between this recipe and the previous one but life have been kinda busy at my end. This is the first contribution to the Sanjha Chulha, so I am really excited about this one. Yes, the recipe is Lauki ke kofte. Kaps was the first one to guess, so good on you brother. At my house, Mom used to make these only on special occasions or parties but it used to be my favorite. Unfortunately, Lauki is not a very common vegetable out here. It's only found in one desi store near my city and that too is like hours away from my place. But just reading about this recipe from Anks bought paani in my mouth. I would like to Thanks Anks for emailing me this recipe for the Sanjha Chulha. The recipe looks awesome. Here's what Anks had to say about it...

I gave out a recipe to my friend the day before and she cooked the dish and got it for us yesterday. It turned out to be great and so I thought of sending it to you. Lauki is one of the widely disliked vegetables, specially by kids and me and bro were no exception. So everytime mom bought lauki, we asked her to make this!

Lauke Ke Kofte - Anks Style!!

Ingredients: (These are by approximation)
  1. 1 small lauki (gourd) or about 5 inch piece of a big fat one
  2. 3-4 large spoons of gram flour (besan)
  3. 1 onion
  4. 3 tomatoes
  5. Red chillies
  6. Jeera
  7. Fresh coriander leaves
  8. Red chilly powder
  9. Coriander powder
  10. Turmeric powder
  11. Black pepper powder
  12. Garam masala powder
  13. Salt
  14. Oil for frying and cooking
Method:
  1. Grate the lauki and add dry spices like red chilly powder, coriander powder and salt to it
  2. Add the gram flour and mix well
  3. Add very little water and make a thick mixture. (The mixture needs to be as thick as the one made while frying bhajiyas)
  4. Take small quantities of the mixture and deep fry
  5. Your koftas are ready. Set them aside for now
  6. Coarse grind jeera, green chillies, onion and tomatoes
  7. Add 2 large spoons of oil in a pan and heat well
  8. Add the coarse ground masala to it
  9. Once the masala is semi-cooked, it turns granular. This takes about seven to ten minutes
  10. Lower the flame and continuously stir the masala at this stage
  11. Add the dry masala - red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste
  12. Add about 3-4 cups of water to make the gravy
  13. Boil the gravy till all the froth disappears
  14. Add the fried koftas to the gravy
  15. Garnish with black pepper powder, garam masala powder and fresh coriander leaves
  16. Serve hot with rotis

Trivia from Anks:

Whew! long one na? Par kuch paane ke liye kuch mehnat to karni hi padti hai! BTW, did you know that lauki is called dhoodhi here in Maharashtra? So we know use 4 names of lauki in our house - lauki, ghiya, dhoodhi and gourd!

Hint for next recipe: Main batata hu na ke mujhe tum pe shaak ho raha hain.

Gossip of the week: Aamir Khan has teamed up with Mani Ratnam. Is this exciting or what?

17 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol ricky!! I got the hint..waise me first :D and I LOVE lauki ke kofte...gujju main doodhi na muthiya :D love em!

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya main bhi same method se banti huan. Maine aaj hee banaye hain.

No, my mom doesn't know about the blog but I emailed her the recipe and this was her response.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger faith said...

yum yum *smiles*

next batata vada??

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger The Bhandari's said...

well next is aloo bhaji I guess :) okie this was a good reciepe anks thks ricky for posting it here

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger JS said...

Seems easy to make and also tasty
Will make it, once I m free ;)
Thanks for the recipe:)

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Anchal said...

Dude I love kofte...and like you said...meri mummy bhi special occasions par hi banati thi...now I read it here...I m missing it more...

will try making this friday...day off hai...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Anks said...

I shud've come here sonner.... a lot sooner, but me is keeping slightly busy here....!
thanks for publishing this.... :)

batata nu shaak is the next dish??? aloo ki curry? i dunno....

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Fursat said...

i love kofte...me too hate lauki but kofte is nice..

we cook it too in same reciepe :)

wanna tell u this..once Gonu n I were at my home..so decided to cook kofte..she didnt knw how to cook it. so i did all the mehnat and sat in our room as it ll be ready in 5 mins...was giving final steam to cook it good...and guess what....baaton mein pata hi nahi chala..sare kofte n curry sab ek ho gaye :(

anyways..nice one and next receipe ka hint muje samaj nahi aaya :|

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Sweety Maruth said...

hi Ricky...is tht ur blog...never been here...well nice cooking blog...kofte....never tasted it dear..lemme follow ur tips..will prepare soon...;-)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger faith said...

kab tak kofte khilaoge janab...

aajkal kitchen band hai kya???
jago..
*smiles*

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Kaush - I know you did. Me too love them. Yea, Anks mentioned that name.

Mummy jee - Mainu kadh khiloge apne hthaan toon.

Faith - Ummm...let's see

Bhandari's - Let's see. You are welcome.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger fursat said...

JS - Yea, it looks awesome. You are very welcome.

Anchal - Yea, its kinda party dish. Do tell me how it turned out. You are welcome.

Silky Moon - Yea looks delicious na. Me too love it. Let's see if you are right. Yea, I am waiting for that movie to come too. Aamir is on a roll.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Anks - It's alright as long as you came. I should be thanking you instead. Hmmm....I will reveal it next.

Neetie - Me too. Yea, its punjabi style. Ha ha, you girls. Ok then wait for the next recipe.

Silky Moon - I was busy with exams na. Chef Ricky studies too you see...he he

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Sweety - Yes Sweety, this is me Ricky Rocks. Yea, its an easy punjabi recipe.

Faith - New recipe coming soon thanks to you.

*smiles*

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger kumarldh said...

my fav
yummy
mommy yaad a gayi :(

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger welcome said...

I love koftey...looks real yummy.
thanks for posting:-)
http://welcome-wetheindian.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Kamya said...

hi Anks , your recipes are really mouthwatering .... i cook lauki kofta curry in the same way..the only difference is that I add little cream while making gravy, and you won't beleive it really enhances the taste 100 times...try out with this one too !!!! Keep posting such tasty dishes ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home