Thursday, April 13, 2006

Batata nu shaak


Sorry guys but I had been busy with my exams, so this time I have a perfect excuse for not keeping the dhaba updated. This blog will be updated regularly now as I don't want you guys to go hungry anymore...LOL.

I have covered recipes from most part of India except Gujarat and I had been getting some dhamkis (to put it mildly) from all my beautiful Gujju friends to put a Gujju recipe. So, here I am putting up one of the few Gujju recipes I know. It's also one of the easiest. Although, I should warn you that its a little different recipe and not everyone may like it at first go, so make it in small quantity the first time. I like it because its different. The first person to guess it was Kaush but she didn't put it in the comment box so it doesn't count. So, that makes Anks the first one to guess it exactly. So here it goes...

Batata nu shaak

Dedication: This recipe is dedicated to all four of my most beautiful gujju friends, Kaush, Priyangini, Moonstruck and Bhumi.

Serving: 2-3

Ingredients:
  1. 1 medium onion, chopped
  2. 2 green chillis, chopped
  3. 2 tsb peeled and grated gingerroot
  4. 2 tsb oil
  5. pinch of asafetida (optional)
  6. 3-4 potatoes, boiled
  7. 4-5 unsalted peanuts
  8. 1/4 tsb salt
  9. 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  10. 1 bunch of cilantro/dhaniya, chopped

Method:

  1. Grind the onion, chillis and ginger in a grinder.
  2. Heat the oil in the pan and add the asafetida, if using
  3. Fry for one minute
  4. Add the onion mixture and fry over low heat for 6-7 minutes or till the onions turn brown
  5. Add the potatoes and fry for one minute
  6. Add the peanut, salt and mix well
  7. Whisk the yogurt untill smooth and mix with the potatoes, and simmer for one min.
  8. Serve hot with rice and chawlichi bhaji

Hint for next recipe: Mr. Potato-head said that banning guns is as hard as planting eggs.

Gossip of the week: Will fanaa be as good as it looks in promos?

22 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mein aa gaye...

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Colors said...

looks yummy and simple to make. Me 2nd

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dish is simple...will give it a shot..but am not sure about how the yogurt will taste..

Talking about Fanaa..guess it will be a HIT.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger The Bhandari's said...

yoghurt tastes awesome in aaloo sabzi mehak
~preeti

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger The Bhandari's said...

I know this recipe and it becomes awesome so u guys do try it for once

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Pinks said...

nice recipe ricky...me 2 waiting for fanaa...hope it turns out to be a good movie...

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Fursat said...

i never heard of it but i guess its easy one.

aur tera hint muje samaj nahi aaya...

i wanna see fanna...i wish woh achi ho :)

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Fursat said...

muje pata chal gaya kya receipe hai

aloo baingan jhol :P

right na :D

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger faith said...

aahaa this is new to me.. will try it today(aaj chutti na)
thanks for updating hehe now u deserve smthing good:P what about faith's yum yum recipe?

oo me poor in guessing so no guess this time..

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

fanaa will be a hit!!!!

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!! Batata nu shaak :) Who gave you the recipe? :P
Good to see you finally listened to your gujju friends.
How did you like the shaak yourself, Ricky?

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Anks said...

Hey I won! will try this out and tell you how it turned out!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Anks said...

next is aloo baingan kya???

(my word verification was ymmwh, and that too on a food blog!)

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Mehak - Yea, tusi aa gaye...

Colors - Yea, it was pretty good and very simple to make. Ok, you get shaak for coming second no batata...LOL

Mehak - Yea, its pretty simple. It tastes different but good. Yea, Fanaa should be a hit now that RDB is Aamir's biggest hit ever.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Bhandari's - I am glad you recommended this...:-)

Pinks - Thank You jee!! Me three waiting for it...:D

Neetie - It is very easy. Tere kuch samajh bhi aata hain kya...kidding kidding. Yea, Fanaa should be good. I am waiting for it too.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Neetie - Yes, you are right but I wonder how you got it...he he.

Faith - Do try it and tell me how it turned out. Please send me your recipe anytime at ricky703ca{at}gmail{dot}com

I would love to put your recipe on this blog. It will be my honor all the way.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Prasad - Prasad ne keh deeya ab toh ho hee jayegee...;-)

Moonstruck - I found it when searching gujju recipes on net. I had to listen to you or you would have killed me. I liked it very much. Its different and good.

Anks - Yes, you won and deservedly so. Do try it and leave your comments.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger fursat said...

Anks - Keep watching for next recipe...he he. Ha ha, see even the word verification loves the recipe.

Seetha - Thanks for trying it and leaving the comment.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Sweety Maruth said...

yummy yummy recipe :P

i knw u don send it 2 my address ..ok u plz note down mera address am serious yaar

its D nagar
d-no 420
vishakapatnam 530016

chalo thn i m waiting for it :D
hehe !!!

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a gujju and yet I don't EVER remember ANYONE making this batata nu shak. I don't get it...I'm a Patel myself and have other gujju friends like Bhatia's and Lohana's (Spell?). Everyone always made batata nu shake like this.
Cubed potatoes, oil, cumin, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and cilantro. You put the cumin seeds in the hot oil then add potatoes and fry them till cooked and kind of crisp on the outside, add turmeric, salt and chili powder...then garnish with cilantro, now that is batata nu shak, eat it with plain kichhdi and yogurt, bhakris or whatever. Now that is the REAL gujju way.

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous moddu said...

very bad recepie

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous moddu said...

oh not bad i made it the second time tasted good

 

Post a Comment

<< Home