Gaajar ka halwa
Gaajar ka halwa is my all-time favourite dessert. My Jhansi waale masijee (yea we call her that) would make the world's best gaajar ka halwa specially for me. The first thing we would get to eat on reaching Jhansi would be this yummy halwa. Unfortunately, gaajar out here is not as good quality as one found in north india. Infact, here it is more like what we find in southern india, orangish and not that juicy. Still, the recipe comes out great annd is one of the easiest desserts to cook. This time the recipe will include pictures taken righat as the halwa was being cooked.
Gaajar ka halwa
Dedication: Recently, my masijee was not very well and so this recipe is dedicated to her and her's good health.
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 tsb butter/ghee
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsb sugar
- 12 blanched almonds, chopped
- bunch of raisins
- Open the outer cases of cardamom, take out the seeds and crush them
- Melt the ghee/butter in the pan
- Add the carrots and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes
- Pour the milk and cook over meduium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the sugar, half of almonds, cardamom seeds and raisins
- Garnish with remaining chopped almonds and serve
Hint for next recipe: "I" used to play chicken-chicken in a bucket. (Yes, this is the same recipe which I had skipped but is back on public demand. Although, none of you got one basic ingredient in this recipe right. So,let's see if you can get this one this time)
Gossip of the week: Omkara is the most awaited movie of the year.