Mushroom Risotto (Contributed By: Princess)
The Sanjha Chulha seemed to be cooling off, when Princess came up with this recipe to keep it burning. She had promised me this recipe long time back but then had to make an adventurous tour to India like only a Princess can. Thank You Princess, for sending me this wonderful recipe, which I tried and loved. This recipe is a perfect exotic meal for that special someone. So, without further ado, here goes the recipe...
Mushroom Risotto - Princess Style
Dedication: This recipe is dedicated to all the wonderful kids of the world on this Children's Day
- 125 g butter/olive spread/any lite margarine type thing
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 375 g mushrooms (or whatever veggies u fancy- celery, carrots, courgettes/zuchini finely chopped)
- 500 g risotto rice (sells as arborio rice in the Italian aisle with the pasta)
- 1.2 liters of vegetable stock (2 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 1 litre works well- I often buy the organic vegetable stock cubes.)
- 1/8 tsp saffron threads for parties or 1/8th tsp haldi!
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 40 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves (fresh leaves if u are serving at a fancy do)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat half the butter in a large heavy frying pan, add the onion and fry gently till soft on a low flame until soft and translucent. Make very sure it doesn't burn or become too coloured.
2. Add the sliced mushrooms or veggies (very finely chopped carrots, zucchini, peas) and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice (don't wash the rice like u do for Indian rice) and stir over moderately low heat until the grains are glistening and beginning to turn translucent at the edges.
3. Stir in one ladle full of boiling stock and simmer very gently until it has become fully absorbed. Continue adding one ladleful of stock in the same fashion till the rice is cooked thoroughly and tender and all the liquid is absorbed. This should take about 20 minutes. Halfway through the cooking stir in the saffron threads or turmeric. Stir frequently to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper
4. When the rice is cooked, turn off the flame. Mix in the remaining butter(choose only as much butter as u want if u are being ultra healthy)- Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. The risottos should not not be too dry-should be quite moist. Serve the risottos sprinkled with parsley.
Enjoy and Hail the Princess :-)